Is my horse eligible for the Placement Program?

There are three major requirements for a horse to be able to join our program.

  1. Owners of the horse must participate in the purse contribution program adopted by the California Horse Racing Board.
  2. The horse must have raced at Santa Anita Park, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, Los Alamitos Thoroughbred Racing, Golden Gate Fields or California Authority of Racing Fairs in the last six months.
  3. The horse must be a gelding, filly or mare.

What about intact male horses?

Colts or stallions will not be accepted under any circumstances. Make arrangements with a veterinarian to castrate your male horse before contacting us. You should ask your veterinarian about a retirement rate gelding service.

If I participate in the CARMA Purse Contribution program, do I have to donate $500 for my horse’s admittance to the Placement Program?

Yes, the minimum $500 is required and goes directly towards the first months care of your former horse. There are no exceptions and larger donations are graciously welcomed. Donations are tax deductible and may be sent to: CARMA, 285 West Huntington Drive, Arcadia Ca, 91007 or done online. (Tax ID #80-0146395).

What if I do not participate in the CARMA Purse Contribution program?

If you are not currently allocating the 0.03% earnings deduction to help support retired racehorses, you can opt-in by contacting the Paymaster of Purses at Santa Anita Park at (626) 574-6360 or by email at Dan.Landers@santaanita.com or Sandy.Linares@santaanita.com If you compete in Northern California, contact Golden Gate Fields at (510) 559-7340 or Lori.Bailey@goldengatefields.com.  You can also fill out the “CHRB CARMA Contribution” and make a handwritten note stating you would like to change your status by “opt-in”.

How quickly will CARMA take my horse into the Placement Program?

On average, there is a two to three week wait list due to the volume of horses in the care of the Placement Program.

Will I be able to keep track of my horse after he/she is in the Placement Program?

For owners that want to “keep in touch” with how their former horses are doing, we can provide updates. Once the horses graduate from our program and are placed with an aftercare partners, owners will need to contact the organization for updates and possible visitation.

My horse has not raced in the last six months due to an injury and has been at a lay-up facility, is he/she eligible?

Thoroughbreds who have raced at a participating California race track in their lifetime but have not had a start within the last six months may be eligible on a case-by-case basis and as space permits. Please contact CARMA for further information.

My horse never raced, is he/she eligible?

Unraced Thoroughbreds currently in training at Santa Anita Park, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, Los Alamitos Thoroughbred Racing, Golden Gate Fields, California Authority of Racing Fairs, or San Luis Rey Downs may be eligible on a case-by-case basis and as space permits.  The horse must have recently recorded works. The connections must have currently active racehorses and minimum $1,000 donation is required should the horse be admitted to the program.

Does CARMA take retired Thoroughbred broodmares or pensioned horses?

No, we do not. We encourage owners of those types of horses to reference our resources page and to contact one of our aftercare partners.