The California Retirement Management Account (CARMA) had a year of incredible successes in 2022, continuing its mission to provide retired racehorses with the aftercare and support they need to live happy, healthy lives beyond the racetrack.
We had our biggest CARMAthon ever, bringing in a whopping $325,000 (beating our previous best of $172,860 in 2022). WOW! This was truly one for the books, and we appreciate everyone in the racing industry who really made a point at this event to show that aftercare is not an afterthought.
Some key highlights for CARMA in 2022:
- Awarded $541,000 worth of grants to 22 aftercare charity partners
- Placed 34 retiring racehorses through our Placement Program
- Joined the Horse Power Coalition created to preserve and protect California’s vibrant equestrian culture
- CARMA Grad Ashley’s Valentine competed in the RRP and won the TB Makeover Cal Bred award from After the Finish Line
- Famed CARMA Grad Lava Man, an inductee to the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 2015, was placed with aftercare charity partner Old Friends
- ABC 10 Feature for Aftercare with aftercare charity partner Fallbrook Horse Ranch Watch It On YouTube
- Hosted the annual Thoroughbred Classic Horse Show showcasing the versatility of the Thoroughbred breed
In 2023, we look forward to celebrating CARMA’s 15th year in operation. To date, CARMA has placed over 400 horses through its Placement Program and helped countless more through its grant program, which has awarded $5,408,390 to charity partners to help retiring racehorses.
Thank you for being part of this mission and vision where every retiring racehorse has the aftercare and retirement life they deserve after a job well done! We could not do it without your support.